Let me start my biting the bullet and admitting I love food and unfortunately I love it a little too much. My weigh has been a constant struggle for me and I have tried many things to get it under control.
A few years back I was introduced to Crossfit and began my love/hate relationship with it, as anyone who has done it would understand. Along with crossfit came a new way of eating. I learned about Paleo and the harmful effects of the things I was eating. Through the last couple years I’ve slowly encorporated Paleo eating into my life, but have never fully devoted myself to it.
Well I decided in 2013 I was going to make the move to dive fully into the Paleo lifestyle as well as to Crossfit. I have found a new gym, Crossfit North Peoria, that has a wonderful group of supportive people. They decided to do a 60 day strict paleo challenge to kick off the new year. I decided now was the best time as ever to start this journey.
So here are the rules:
1. Eat real food – meat, eggs, vegetables, nuts, seeds, fruit, oils (like EVOO or coconut). Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re fresh and natural.
2. Do not eat dairy. This includes butter, cheese (hard and soft), yogurt (even Greek) and milk (including cream in your coffee).
3. Do not eat grains. This includes bread, rice, pasta, corn (I count corn as a grain), oatmeal, and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains. That’s not real food, right?
4. Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds, lentils, and peanuts. (No peanut butter, kids.)
5. Do not eat sugars of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, Splenda, Truvia, Stevia, etc.
6. Do not eat processed foods. ONLY EXCEPTION WILL BE PROTEIN SHAKES FOLLOWING A WORKOUT.mages, and other content
On top of that I’m throwing in a challenge that my friend Claudia did last year which is to run 365 days this year. The running doesn’t have to be long (1 mile minimum) but the goal is to get off the couch and off the desk chair. Of course the down side is that my work doesn’t have a shower, and that I now live in IL it’s cold as heck now. Luckily we do have a treadmill in the garage which I’m hoping helps. It is still going to be a challenge as i am not a “natural-born runner”. I’m one of those that has to struggle through the runs, plus I’m also not known for my speed. But your resolutions are suppose to be a challenge, right? So that’s what this is.
For me I think the main challenge will be the eating. I am definitely one that knows how I am suppose to eat, it’s just implementing the change. [standing up] Hi, my name is Kala and I’m a popcorn addict! Goodness do I love popcorn. I think that is one of my main downfalls, a nice big bowl of buttery popcorn. Of course my will-power after the gym isn’t as strong either. My husband loves chinese food and when he suggests it after a hard workout and i don’t feel like cooking, I tend to cave. So this will be a test of my will-power. So join me on my journey to health and fitness in 2013. If nothing else, enjoy the recipes I post. 🙂